GE to supply turbines for 225MW gas-fired plant in Myanmar

Published on: 

GE recently bagged a contract from Sembcorp Utilities to supply two 6F.03 gas turbines, the associated steam turbines and heat recovery steam generators (HRSGs) for the proposed 225MW Myingyan power project in Mandalay, Myanmar. Under the contract, GE will be responsible for the design, supply, and installation of two HRSGs and a reheat steam turbine. The $300m independent power plant (IPP) is expected to be commissioned in early 2018.

Power generated from the facility will be sold to Myanma Electric Power Enterprise (MEPE), a division under the Ministry of Electric Power of Myanmar (MOEP), as part of a 22-year power purchase agreement (PPA) signed with Sembcorp earlier.

The Myingyan IPP, designed to deliver efficiency, availability, flexibility and reliability, is expected to help reduce Myanmar's reliance on the more expensive, short-term rental of gas engines. While Sembcorp will have an 80% stake in the project, its partner MMID Utilities will own the remaining 20% interest.


Myanmar Electricity and Energy Minister Pe Zin Tun said the project would deliver "a modern, high technology and efficient combined cycle power plant in Myanmar."

Sembcorp Myingyan Power Company general manager Dennis Foo said the Myingyan project would play an active role in meeting the power needs. "We are very happy to work with GE as our technology partner."