Capstone Turbine Corporation has announced that TOO Synergy Astana, Capstone’s distribution partner in Kazakhstan, sold the first of potentially five C1000s for multiple associated gas-to-energy projects to a local oil and gas producer operating in Western Kazakhstan. The oil and gas end-use customer’s future decision to expand from the initial 1 MW to 5 MWs will depend on the operating results of the initial C1000 microturbine expected to be installed this summer.
In addition to this most recent C1000 order, last October, TOO Synergy Astana secured an order for three C65 microturbines for the expansion of an existing Kazakhstan pipeline project. As a continuously growing project, the pipeline already depends on 60 Capstone microturbine systems, which includes two C800s for remote on-site power.
Kazakhstan holds an estimated 30 billion barrels of oil reserves, along with 1.1 tcm (38.8 tcf) of natural gas. It is among the top 15 countries based on the size of its oil reserves. The majority of Kazakhstan’s hydrocarbons reserves are located in the regions of Kashagan, Tengiz and Karachaganak. The Kashagan field, discovered in 2000, is one of the largest oilfield discoveries in recent decades.
According to TOO Synergy Astana management, the end-use Kazakhstan energy company listed the following attributes as the reasons for selecting the microturbines to generate on-site electricity:
1. No lubricants and coolants needed;
2. Low lifecycle cost and ease of maintenance;
3. Ultra-low exhaust emissions;
4. Ability to operate in a wide range of power output;
5. Ability to generate at 50 and 60 Hertz (without changing the design);
6. The compactness of installation and the ease of further expansion;
7. Ability to operate reliably on associated gas; and
8. Overall superiority over other autonomous energy sources (reciprocating gas engine generators).
Turbomachinery Blog features postings from experts in all areas of turbomachinery, such as: gas turbines, machine diagnostics, materials, repairs, and aftermarket parts, and encourages users to participate, with reader engagement and interaction as its primary purpose.
|There are no products|